View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 07:43

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Breakfasts on the farm consist of healthy dishes like sweet potato, cinnamon granola and green smoothies - much to everyone’s dismay. Dinner, meanwhile, consists of carb-free spaghetti bolognese, using spiralised courgette.

Yes, the purpose of the zuchinnis would have been to replace the pasta.

But the first sentence in that paragraph sounds like they're still starting their day on carbs.

Sweet potato has this rep of being super healthy, and it does have a little more micro-nutrients than white potatoes, but raw by weight (or even baked by weight), there's more carbs in sweet potatoes than white potatoes.

Unless they've figured out some way to make carb-free granola, that's almost pure carbs, and I doubt they're making it from just nuts - which would still not be carb free, just a good bit lower in carbs than grain based granola. Considering that they're only calling it the Sugar free farm, not the Carb free farm, it's probably essentially baked rolled oats and other whole grains, with no sugar added to them, unless they're allowing natural sweeteners such as honey and fruit juice concentrates, along with some dried fruit in it too, and of course we know that dried fruit provides concentrated carbs. I suspect that's what they're doing, since it was called cinnamon granola - cinnamon combined with some kind of sweetener or fruit will enhance the sweetness of the food, but simply added to grains without any sweetener of any kind, cinnamon will just taste hot.

I have to wonder what was in the green smoothie too - just greens? Maybe some fruit juice or something else to sweeten it to make it a bit more palatable than simply liquified greens? Or did it have some kind of protein component?

And more than that, are these people being given any fat at all in their diet beyond what little naturally occurs in the mentioned foods?

No wonder they were cold, tired, and irritable - starting their day on carbs, expected to do dirty manual labor that they're clearly not used to doing, all while doing a 180 turn-around in their diet. Such is the way of reality TV, but clearly not a truly LC experience.