Thread: Leg Cramps
View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi and welcome. I've struggled with this too, for a long time, mainly because I really don't like salty food.

I've had it bad for the last 5-6 weeks now that our non-AC house is hot and I'm sweating a lot; and what really seems to have helped for the last few weeks is a calcium/magnesium supplement that I actually bought by accident. Calcium is an electrolyte, too. Ever since I switched to the cal/mag, I've only had a few mild twitches, no full-on hit-the-ceiling cramps.

Also notable - I don't drink coffee once the house gets hot (so no cream, either) and I gave up cheese because my pants were getting too tight. I'm also not a big fan of the "veggie" sources of calcium. Hmmm.

On the subject of coffee, Thud might have been concerned about the diuretic effect of caffeine. IMO, though, 2 cups a day is something your body adapts to and it's not like you're massively dehydrating yourself. If you're concerned, you could always switch to decaf. Besides, coffee is actually a pretty decent source of potassium - over 300 mg in 20 fl oz.

Thank you! I had no idea coffee has any potassium at all. Go figure! I used to drink about six cups a day before atkins, because I was constantly tired from all the crap I was eating. Anyway, my multivitamin has calcium but I'll try adding more if upping the magnesium doesn't work. Thanks again.😊