View Single Post
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 10:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I believe it's inevitable.

I think a more appropriate term for the job is devil's advocate. So I looked at what Wiki says about that. I found something very telling about the nature of such a job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_advocate#Origin

Quote:
The office (ed. of devil's advocate) was established in 1587 during the reign of Pope Sixtus V and abolished by Pope John Paul II in 1983.[2] This reform changed the canonization process considerably, helping John Paul II to usher in an unprecedented number of elevations: nearly 500 individuals were canonized and over 1,300 were beatified during his tenure as Pope as compared to only 98 canonizations by all his 20th-century predecessors.

Without a devil's advocate, it's literally a free-for-all. Anybody and his dog can be canonized and beatified. This principle is well established in law, where the defendant has a lawyer who represents him, but most importantly this lawyer has the same expertise and respect as the prosecutor. Without a defense lawyer to temper an overzealous prosecutor, we get summary trials, sentences and executions. This paints a pretty accurate picture of the medical establishment, methinks.