View Single Post
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 14:05

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I had very tough insulin resisitance as a teenager, and hormone/PCOS issues as a 20-something, complete with facial hair. Sad to say, it doesn't ever 'reduce' and I've done a couple serious stints in low carb (years at a time, continuously tweaking, mostly recently restarting and sticking to it since the fall of 2014). Once that hair is there, it needs to be taken off via plucking, waxing or the such, or if looking for something permanent, laser or electrolsys. it doesn't reduce or go away. That has been my experience.

Sorry, don't mean to discourage you. You said you had the gastric surgery, and I'm sure you are on a ton of supplements, but I would point out that you especially want to be supplementing extra magnesium and Vitamin D. In larger amounts than you think you need. Magnesium helps you "go #2" which is problematic for many gastric patients, as well as a low carb issue. And it helps DRAMATICALLY with cravings for sugar and starch. Vitamin D, among many other benefits, gives me energy and improves mood which helps you stay positive and on track.

For myself, I am obese woman who has struggled with insulin resistance and hormone issues most of my life. My thyroid doesn't work either. I am gluten intolerant as well with several joint issues. Two other supplements I take are tumeric, to help reduce overall inflammation (and help with pain levels on my knees), and Vitex (chaste berry), which I find really helped align my female hormones, keep my cycles on track, and decrease PMS symptoms.

When it came to weight loss though - the single most factor that contributed thus far has been dumping dairy from my diet. Dairy can be insulinogenic, and this has been my experience. Once I cut it out of my diet I saw the scale start to move. There have been fits and spurts of course, but prior to that I couldn't seem to lose weight to 'save my life'.

If you do cut out dairy, because of the bypass be sure to eat other foods that are high in calcium and supplement as well. Chia seeds and unsweetened almond milk are two that I can think of off the top of my head which have high calcium counts but are dairy free.

Also, not to be a downer again, but some low carb followers really need to reign in artificial sweeteners as they cause cravings, and stall weight loss and many have a response akin to sugar when eating them. I quit soda myself about 7 years ago, moved to club soda. I do occasionally drink diet coke, but it is few and far between now.

I know it does seem strict, but these were the experiences that helped me.
Hope this info finds you well, and the very best of luck on your journey. We all know the struggle.