View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-17, 08:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Dr. Eade's scenario where you go low carb, appetite diminishes, you eat less total fat for a while than you started and ldl cholesterol goes up is interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10539776

Another scenario where ldl cholesterol goes up after decreasing saturated fat intake. Just for illustrative purposes;

Quote:
Fasting increases serum total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and apolipoprotein B in healthy, nonobese humans.

Sävendahl L1, Underwood LE.
Author information
Abstract
Voluntary fasting is practiced by many humans in an attempt to lose body weight. Conflicting results have been published on the effects of food deprivation on serum lipids. To study the effect of acute starvation on serum lipids, 10 nonobese (93-124% of ideal body weight), healthy adults (6 men, 4 women, 21-38 y old) fasted (no energy) for 7 d. Fasting increased total serum cholesterol from 4.90 +/- 0.23 to 6.73 +/- 0.41 mmol/L (37.3 +/- 5.0%; P < 0.0001) and LDL cholesterol from 2.95 +/- 0.21 to 4.90 +/- 0.36 mmol/L (66.1 +/- 6. 6%; P < 0.0001). Serum apolipoprotein B (apo B) increased from 0.84 +/- 0.06 to 1.37 +/- 0.11 g/L (65.0 +/- 9.2%; P < 0.0001). The increases in serum cholesterol, LDL and apo B were associated with weight loss. Fasting did not affect serum concentrations of triacylglycerol and HDL cholesterol. Serum concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) decreased from 246 +/- 29 (prefast) to 87 +/- 10 microg/L after 1 wk of fasting (P < 0.0001). We conclude that, in nonobese subjects, fasting is accompanied by increases in serum cholesterol, LDL and apo B concentrations, whereas IGF-I levels are decreased.

Dropping fat intake to zero increases ldl by two thirds, presumably due to changes in fat-trafficking requirements. Increased apoB/particle count makes sense, when dietary fat is high, triglycerides are primarily delivered by chylomicrons, these are the biggest, fluffiest lipoprotein molecules of all, the ratio of ApoB to triglycerides delivered would be lowest.

But somebody out on the web will be along to warn us about chylomicron remnants sooner or later in connection to Dave's findings.