Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I stayed up late tonight to listen to the second day's panel:

Panel discussion on "Food politics and policy"
Moderator: Navjoyt Ladher, Head of Scholarly Comment, The BMJ

Panellists:
Sonia Angell, Deputy Commissioner, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Nita Gandhi Forouhi, Professor of Population Health and Nutrition, Programme Leader & Consultant Public Health Physician MRC Epidemiology Unit, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine
Günter Hemrich, Deputy Director a.i., Nutrition and Food Systems Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Nina Teicholz, Science Journalist and Author; Executive Director of the Nutrition Coalition
Martin White, Professor and Director of Research, Food Systems and Public Health, Centre for Diet and Activity Research, University of Cambridge

Outside of Nina fighting the good fight (as she always does) for evidence-based guidelines, much of the rest of the panel discussion I personally found to be a bit lacking. Too much time talking about secondary issues like sodium consumption vs blood pressure, whether labelling of certain foods as "diabetic" foods are discriminatory to diabetics, and the extent to which the environment should be taken into nutrition policy consideration.

The audience questions were a bit of a mixed bag too; my favourite question was "how can members of the public contribute to the public health discussion in their area," but nobody remembered to answer it at all, as the questions were being asked three at a time for some reason.

Overall, slightly disappointed. I wish I'd caught the first day's panel, did anyone else see that one?