#5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-15, 14:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://www.idiabetesblog.org/2013/0...s/#.VN5gWPnF8aA

Quote:
The other problem was that I was following that diet and getting progressively slower in my running and fatter and ultimately developed type 2 diabetes, which I realized somewhat later and then I had this epiphanous moment when I decided something had to change and I fortunately was exposed to the low-carbohydrate work of Dr. Jeff Volek and his colleagues and one day I decided, okay I am doing so badly eating all these carbohydrates surely I can’t be worse, let’s cut the carbohydrates and turn to a high fat diet as provided by Dr. Volek; so I did that and the results were dramatic. I lost twenty kilograms of weight and I subsequently decided I had type 2 diabetes and needed treatment, but my diabetes is quite well-controlled on Metformin and this low-carbohydrate diet and then I realized I had to say sorry that I have been misleading people for so long telling them to eat the high carbohydrate diet and so my conclusion is if you’re like me and you have a family history of diabetes, my father died of a disease, his brother died of the disease and it’s clearly come directly through to myself and my own children.

How often are people screened for diabetes in South Africa? How often was Tim Noakes? Until he became carbohydrate conscious--would his doctor have even bothered checking?

I'm willing to call shenanigans, in that maybe he should have spoken more clearly, made it obvious that the diabetes was diagnosed after he went on the low carbohydrate diet. But unless diabetes screening is very frequent in South Africa, this looks pretty innocent to me.

Looking back, I'm just saying what PJ said. Without a baseline, this suggests nothing about low carb causing diabetes.