View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 03:50

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

This feels pertinent to me right now as I am actively trying to change my gut bacteria. I've been suffering severe chronic fatigue for about 7-8 months (it's something I've had before but it hit me HARD this time) and I finally found a GP a few months ago who is awesome. He immediately had me get my gut bacteria tested. Most people's aerobic bacteria is apparently 70-90% E.coli and less than 5% streptococcus. Mine is 81% streptococcus and only 18% E.coli. No wonder I'm sick, my gut can't actually deal with the food I give it!

He's put me on a protocol which involves alternating targeted antibiotics and targeted probiotics (particularly focusing on increasing the E.coli), along with various supplements, certain dietary restrictions ("no sugar of any kind, including fruit! It feeds the strep!") and other food recommendations. (He fully endorses LCHF and Paleo diets!) Normally I hate taking antibiotics but I know I need that strep to go and I trust him when he says he's seen lots of people improve significantly from this.
It's only been 4 weeks so far but I feel SO MUCH BETTER already. I can actually function in the real world again. I can work at my computer without collapsing. I can go out shopping or out to a cafe without having to come home and sleep for a week. I can eat a meal without feeling sick for 6-8 hours. I actually get hungry and actively want to eat, which I haven't felt in years. It has been really amazing.
It's also actually completely obliterated the constant anxiety that I've been feeling since I was TEN. LC improved that, but never got rid of it. But now it's just gone. I still have these habitual behaviours that I do because I'm expecting to feel anxious, but the anxiety doesn't come. I have this serenity and calmness that I don't think I've ever felt in my life. It's crazy and awesome. I'm now suddenly wondering how long my gut bacteria has been screwing up my life.

I'm expecting this protocol to take months and months to fully heal my gut -- I'm certainly not in a position to live a normal active life yet. But for the first time in a long time I feel like maybe I've gotten to the root cause of many of my chronic health conditions, and it feels like it will be possible to one day be a fully functioning human being.

Anyway, this lesson has really taught me that gut bacteria is clearly so much more powerful than we give it credit for! I am determined to take better care of mine from now on!