View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-21-18, 15:17

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Our circumstances are all different. Age can be a factor, gender can be a factor. Some of us have more weight to lose than others. Some of us have T2D or other conditions like hypertension, dyslipidemia, chronic inflammation. There will naturally be some variations in the different plans you will find, as we all naturally vary ourselves. But you should be able to identify the general themes running through them all: get your carb intake as low as you can tolerate, keep protein moderate, eat the right kinds of fat to satiety.

Precisely what you will eat in order to achieve that is ultimately up to you. There may be some things you could eat but simply don't enjoy eating. Or maybe you'll read about something that you can't get so easily in your area. The way I personally started was to comb my local supermarket, checking labels on everything and only grabbing stuff that had no more than 10g of carbs per 100g going by the labels, in addition to certain vegetables that of course don't come with labels at all. Then I had to think about what I could make with the ingredients I'd come home with, just as it sounds like you're doing as well.

There are no shortage of recipe ideas online if you know where to look (Diet Doctor is a good start). YouTube channels like Dr Berg can be a pretty good learning resource as well. Virta Health is a newer channel with some good up-to-date scientific information, and there are plenty of other longer presentations around the place once you're ready to dive a little deeper.

It's good news that you have a supportive doc from the beginning. Not all of us are so lucky, but the reaction of pleasant surprise is fairly consistent down the track. If he's given you a few months, that will probably be enough time to allow for a fresh HbA1c to indicate how much progress you've made in the meantime. So now's definitely the time to get started.

Again, try not to let the relative lack of progress on the scales this time around bother you. There are plenty of other ways you can be tracking progress, and you already mentioned waist circumference as one of them. Various blood markers will be useful to get checked the next time you see your doc, and between now and then you may notice your appetite start to change as well. These are all good indicators. Just gotta be patient.

If you're sticking around, maybe consider starting a journal here, so you can write about your journey as you go?