Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 09:00

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
OK, watch this.

It's not just about CoQ10, it's also about ROS and obviously about antioxidants. Well, ketones are powerful antioxidants. Check this out: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...014488608000101

Doesn't stop there. Based on my paradigm (sorry, I forgot who exactly gave me the following idea, but it's fairly recent), ketones activate insulin receptors in the liver, which in turn means the absence of ketones is the proximal cause (i.e. the immediate mechanism) of insulin resistance. The primary cause, of course, is a high-carb diet. It's exquisitely ironic that we test for insulin resistance with an oral glucose tolerance test.

The point is ketones take care of ROS when there's too much ROS. Then, when ketones aren't there, well, they don't take care of any ROS, excess or otherwise. And if it's true that some ROS can cause insulin resistance (more than absence of ketones), we get a runaway effect.

Never mind CoQ10 at this point. It's just so much easier to fix the ketones problem. It's probably also gonna fix about 90% of the CoQ10 problem, ya know, while we're there.

Yes, it should considering ketones and CoQ10 are both produced via the same
HMG-CoA reductase pathway. Get that up and running right and you should have plenty of both, along with cholesterol and other life-giving substances this pathway is responsible for making. A really insidious thing about statins is they deliberately target this pathway, cutting back our ability to produce all of these highly valuable and necessary substances, all in the name of the old discredited cholesterol-causes-heart-disease myth. Scary!