View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-10-01, 11:42

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:
Default The new job

Two months ago, there was nothing much around and nobody wanted me and now the market is even worse and I had a choice of two.

The difference? 29lbs less, greater energy, more confidence. I had a choice of a very well paid job at one of the 2 computer co's (which i turned down - who wants to play shepherd to 800 nerds??) and a less well paid but seriously fun job with the City of Melbourne (the local government agency which covers the heart of Melbourne, the CBD). Its a wierd sort of thing and I'm still not sure if I've got it straight but they want me to take a loose HR strategy and turn it into plans and interventions which will ensure they meet their newly articulated people objectives and competencies. I sort of dream up ideas and get them approved by the executive then go and find the HR people (they're in a different division for some strange reason) and get them to roll out the projects while I project manage them.

Leastways thats what I think I'll be doing. Definitely my kind of job, do a bit of looking under stones, pull a few rabbits out of a hat, mooch around talking to other people and then get other people to do the real work! What sealed it for me was that the Director I'll be working for is really nice - a dinkum Aussie, straight talking, outgoing, realistic but focussed and they were only too happy to get me.

A far cry from my all time low, earlier this year when I didnt get a job that I went for (which I could do standing on my head) because I was very nice but maybe not dynamic enough!!! This feedback combined with the look of horror on her size 8, face when she saw me. Well it really hurt and made me scurry off home and give up. As you can imagine few people call me nice!! and not dynamic enough is definitely a first. I was upset and angry and it took me until I started this WOE to decide that that was it and I was going to get back to looking good and I was going to walk all over those people on my way back up.

After two weeks on this WOE, I was just out there and maybe because I havent been acting like a 'fat person', things have just got more and more positive until now I'm back in the game!! Going to keep this WOE up though, I've still got a few bugs to squash!!

Nicola