View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 10:18

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 229/176/140 Female 5'5"
BF:no idea
Progress: 60%

Angel... I'm so sorry for your troubles. I did self-diagnose my PCOS. My doctor pretty much blew me off but gave me Metformin when I demanded it. She wouldn't increase it to the effective recommended level, though. Finally, I found an EXPERT in the field at the Cleveland Clinic (I live in Cleveland).

I was so excited. My regular doctor couldn't be bothered to at least Google PCOS. I went to my appt without eating at all because I knew there would be blood tests that require fasting for 12 hours. You'll be asked questions about your period, how old you were when you first had it, all your symptoms, your hair, if you think anyone in your family had it, etc. They could be embarassing but it was okay because this is someone who knew what I was talking about.

My doctor, Marjan Attaran, prescribed birth control and spirotilactone. I was afraid I'd have bad side effects but the only bad thing seems to be I was really super crabby on my period last month. I was actually happy to have a regular period, and not some little bit of "bleeding" every other week! Now my cycle is normal and I'm only on my second pack of pills! My skin cleared up amazingly. I used to break out all along my jawline and it's clear now and I can wear my hair up. The spiro is for hair and skin but I think it takes awhile to kick in. You MUST be on birth control when taking spiro because it can cause serious birth defects in baby boys (their stuff won't grow!).

I decided to start Atkins again. I was again afraid that the birth control would keep me from losing but I have lost 20 lbs in a month. I wonder if I'd do better without the pill but I will not give it up.

I got teary eyed when I read your story. I have cried and cried for myself and I got so fed up that I finally did something about it. My blood work revealed that my blood sugar is actually perfect, but I have wayyyy too much testosterone. I think the cholesterol might have been borderline high but she never said anything about it so I could be wrong.

I'm not on Metformin anymore. My stomach was upset at first but that went away quickly. Good luck to you.