View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 06:14

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Your program looks a lot like what some bodybuilders do for a contest prep. Those guys are doing something that's very catabolic, trying to get down to low single digit body fat. So very high protein might make sense in that context.

Calories are protein-sparing, this seems to be as true for calories released from body fat as from the diet.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi40.htm

You might have read this Berardi article already, but he includes an interesting bit on lean mass loss while cutting;

Quote:
I hope it's clear from this table that eating a diet too few in calories causes a substantial LBM (lean body mass) loss, while eating a higher calorie (but still hypocaloric diet) preserves more lean mass.

In addition, it's especially interesting to note that the fatter subjects on both the higher calorie and the lower calorie diets have a remarkable shift in the muscle loss to fat loss ratio toward more fat loss and less muscle loss. This shift is especially striking in comparison to what happens when their leaner counterparts diet.

I don't see any problem necessarily in the approach you're taking, you may respond to it very well--it's just that from your starting point, I think probably you don't need to stress protein quite so much from a purely muscle gain/maintenance perspective. There are studies showing gain of lean mass while losing weight, with protein intake more like what Rob was talking about or lower.

Sometimes people fight over whether a low carb diet should be high in protein or high in fat. I think it should be one or the other, or somewhere in-between. Whatever the individual responds best to.