View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-16, 15:39
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

A few months into the diet my cholesterol numbers were pretty good. TC was good and LDL was only slightly above the optimal range. At 1 year in, my LDL had gone through the roof, dragging TC along with it. Yes, there is some fluctuation to be expected during weight loss, or so I've been told. But from what I've been able to ascertain, there are a lucky few of us that do get crazy high LDL from a very low carb diet. It is a very hot topic as to whether this is dangerous or not given that we are eating a healthy, less inflammatory diet. When my LDL skyrocketed, my doctor (who is relatively supportive of my diet) was concerned and started talking statins. I told her that I'd prefer to try and work on it through diet. So that is what I did through much of 2015. In December, I had my labs done and my latest tweaks made some serious progress. My doctor was happy. I was happy. I'm thinking that once I stop losing (stop eating my own saturated fat deposits in addition to what I swallow) - my cholesterol numbers will be A-OK.

For more information and a few links, you may want to browse through my journal. HERE is a link to my journal page where I discussed my latest lab results and the diet changes I made to achieve them. In a nutshell, I think it boils down to fiber. I added flax, chia seeds, hemp hearts, and psyllium husk powder to my diet and quadrupled my fiber intake. The more fiber I added to my diet, the better my cholesterol numbers got. I did try to watch my saturated fat -- but really made only a little headway in that department. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm no expert -- I've just been trying to figure this thing out myself. Statins... I did not want to go there.