View Single Post
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-14, 07:19

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I have found Nina's The Big Fat Surprise a wonderful sequel to Taubes GCBC. Fascinating and an easy read.

It is so sad that medical/nutrition research can be so corrupt and lead to government guidelines based upon false assumptions but required for everyone. Bad research designs are bad enough but when the flawed designs are deliberate, when findings are skewed to the desired direction, when questions about the science are drowned out, when academic careers are destroyed if they do not meet the party line, and when personal charisma overbalances good science, we are in deep serious trouble morally, ethically, and scientifically.

I hope this book gets the attention it deserves. I intend to recommend it to anyone who will listen. But I suspect, like Taubes, it will be widely ignored by much of the medical community and Consumer Reports will continue to publish its annual report card of the Best Diets based upon the USDA Food Pyramid. Mike Eades once wrote an excellent blog post about the tenacity of nutritional beliefs in spite of decades of contrary data. I hope this book helps dispel some of these beliefs.