View Single Post
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-14, 09:33

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Read the book

I read the book, getting very angry at times. I came away believing completely that saturated fats are the way to eat, vegetable oils (except oil) are unhealthy and cooked vegetable oils are toxic. Edes said he really believed about saturated fats after reading the book.

The Amazon reviewers that said it was just another rehash of Taubes two books clearly did not read the books.

An except from the book - The Big Fat Surprise: Toxic Heated Oils

Quote:
Oil chemists began discovering these compounds in the mid-1940s, when vegetable oils first came to be widely used, and published a large body of work showing that heated linseed, corn, and especially soybean oil were toxic to rats, causing them to grow poorly, suffer diarrhea, have enlarged livers, gastric ulcers, and heart damage, and die prematurely. In one experiment, a “varnish-like” substance was found in the rat feces—which caused the animals themselves to be “stuck to the wire floor” of the cages. The oil in some of these experiments was heated to temperatures higher than those typically used in restaurant fryers, but the “varnish” was likely to have been an oxidation product in the same family as those shellac-like substances turning up in fast-food restaurants of late

The second last chapter on frying with vegetable oils has changed what I eat. It makes we wonder how we can warn the world about the dangers of frying vegetable oils. Hopefully this book will do it.