#36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 12:25

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorK
I've never been good at controlling my appetite. Consequently I'm perpetually overweight. I use exercise to battle my bulge. Yesterday I ran my 50th marathon, give or take a couple. My first was in 1986, the Arbor Day marathon in Littleton, CO. Today I'm about 50 pounds lighter than I was before taking up running. Last weekend I had a physical assessment done by a trainer. His opinion is my cardiac ability is excellent but I'm twenty pounds overweight.

The assessment included the VO2max test which has been around since the '60s. It says while jogging I'm still burning 35% carbs. I did a dozen marathons while in ketosis, with the idea of forcing more fat-burning. The only result was I became a slower runner. For yesterday's race, every two miles I took carbs in the form of fruit, cookies or potato chips. Marathons done in ketosis always meant a 'death march' for the last 2or 3 miles. This run I did the final miles at a faster pace than the first miles.

If I didn't overeat, I wouldn't be heavy. If I weren't heavy, I wouldn't need exercise. IF I lost those 20 pounds, would I be done with running marathons? Probably not because the root problem, my appetite, is unchanged.

Hmmmm, have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories? I have found that with my children, what they eat has very little to do with what they weigh. The child who eats the most is, at this present time, 5'1 and 70 pounds. He eats about a half dozen eggs for breakfast, and equally absurd amounts for his other meals. My heaviest child is the one who demonstrates traits of being a carb addict, but doesn't eat very much per se. Then again, my most muscular child is no more active than the rest and certainly never has worked out but has had washboard abs since she was 3 or 4.

Our bodies are far more complicated than the "experts" would have us believe. I probably don't take in nearly as many calories now that I eat VLC as I did on a SAD, but I eat a lot of calories nonetheless.

Anyway, it surprises me that your appetite is the same while running marathons as it is during more sedentary times -- I would have guessed you have a larger appetite while training and running as when we burn more, we tend to be hungrier.

Losing 50 pounds is incredible though; congratulations on that. Since running is catabolic, I wonder how much that has to do with it as opposed to "calories in, calories out." I wish there were more honest studies on this whole subject.