View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-13, 16:42

Plan: Paleo-Ketogenic, LCHF
Stats: 358/263/235 Male 6' 6"
BF: More to Love
Progress: 77%
Default Low Carb Zuppa Tuscana (Olive Garden Style)

Home Made Zuppa Tuscana

Ingredients
1 lb Mild Italian Sausage
½ lb Bacon
1 Medium Onion
1 tbsp Minced Garlic
1 lb Daikon Radishes
¾ bushel Kale
4 tbsp Butter
2 cans (10.5 oz) Chicken Broth
1 ¼ cup Heavy Cream
4 cups Water

Prep work
Cut Daikon in half lengthwise, then slice in thin coins. Add to boiling water (about 8-10 cups) with a little sea salt and boil until almost fork tender. The color will become more translucent as it cooks. Drain and set aside.
Cut Kale along the stem to remove leaves, then chop the leaves to desired size. Set aside.
Chop onion. I prefer a fine chop so my onion is in small bits, but do what you prefer here.
Line baking pan with parchment paper and place bacon onto paper. Put tray in NON-PREHEATED oven and set to 400 for 20 minutes. Check on bacon in the last 3-4 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn, or under cook. 20 minutes for me is perfect! Immediately remove bacon from oven and place on paper towels to cool. Remove any excess grease, this is to keep the bacon crispy. (any other method of cooking CRISPY bacon is fine, but save the grease!)
Pour grease from bacon into pot intended for soup.
Once bacon is cool and dry, crumble into small bits and set aside.

Cooking Instructions
Brown sausage in pot with bacon grease over medium heat. I prefer to break it up as much as possible into a fine ground, rather than chucks. Follow your preference here.
Once sausage is browned, make a well in the center and place butter into well. Once mostly melted, place minced garlic and chopped onions in the center.
Stir center (onions and garlic) and cook for about 5 minutes.
Salt and pepper the meat mix to taste.
Stir entire pot, mixing the sausage, onion, and garlic, and cook until onions are mostly translucent.
Add bacon bits, chicken broth, water, and Daikon. Stir well. Bring to boil, then drop to low-medium and cover for about 20 minutes.
Add Kale, stir well, and cook for another 10 minutes uncovered.
Add Cream, stir, and serve. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired!

Notes
I used all organic products, but of course it's not necessary to do so. I just prefer eating as clean as possible. Most of my products were Simple Truth brand which can be purchased at Kroger.
Makes about 10 bowls.
About 5 Net Carbs per serving (obviously this will very with the products you use and contents of the individual bowl).

Finally, If you try this and love it, hate it, or modify it in any way, be sure to leave a comment! I love to see what ideas I can spark!
Sponsored Links