View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 15:58

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 280/260/240 Male 77
BF:
Progress: 50%

First of all, this is a fantastic list for people to check why they're stalling. One of the most complete lists I've ever seen, I think you hit just about every point.

However, kebaldwin makes a really good point as well, especially for guys that are doing a lot of exercise and weight training while they are on a low carb nutrition plan. It’s an excellent nutrition plan to build muscle, and you’re right – if your waist is shrinking a bit while your scale stays the same, that’s actually ideal for men.

There is a bit of a gender difference between the goals of men and women when it comes to changing your diet, and I think this touch upon one of them. Guys may want to look better just as women do, however if you ask most men, they don’t want to lose muscle mass through the process, and for guys who lift, if there is even a hint that any given diet might reduce some solid muscle, they won’t even go near the diet. I realize women don’t want to lose muscle tone, but women may not be as concerned with muscle mass and building muscle the way men might be. So to echo what kebaldwin says, if your waist band feels like it has some more room, and you don’t see your weight going down – congratulations. You’re looking better without becoming frail.