View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 11:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

so I thought I'd use this opportunity to vent a bit. I work with someone who is diabetic, overweight, and is very interested in my weight loss. Her doctor put her on a lower carb diet, although the one the doctor reccommended is lower than the one she seems to be following, and of course the doctor's diet allows her to eat beans, corn, and red potatos (with some limits). She constantly remarks on my loss and we've talked about how her weight keeps goign up and its really a problem for her blood sugar, blood pressure, etc. I know that she wants to lose some of the weight. I've shared with her what I'm doing, what I'm following - although in a "here's what i'm doing" way not a "what you are doing is not working" sort of way. She stops me near the microwave or in the hall every couple of days to run her menus past me and ask if I think they are "healthy". sigh.

The most recent encounter was about fiber - she made a dish with tons of beans, ground beef, corn, and taco seasoning. I nodded a lot and told her I really did not eat any of those things, except the beef: that I make my own taco seasoning so it has no sugar, and beans have way too many carbs while I'm still trying to lose weight. Oh, she remarks, "I eat beans for the fiber and I have to have some sugar in my diet or my blood sugar falls too low...."

Of course I mentioned that with the fat and veggies in my diet I'd never needed addtional fiber. And that I don't eat sugar - unless its in the allowable carbs (yesterday I was eating gream beans with salmon) She looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

I want to offer my help, but these conversations always leave me feeling like I'm Alice having walked through the looking glass.

No need to reply - fiber has been on my mind and I've read Dr Eades comments on fiber with great interest - when I was a low fat/high carb vegetarian I was convinced that the rest of the world was headed to an early grave because they were not getting enough fiber. LOL.