View Single Post
  #3753   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 10:03

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Speaking of hypocrisy, here's my own...

For me, it was interesting to feel my own emotions while reading the posts. Over the course of this thread, it’s safe to say we’ve had contributions by (in my personal opinion) some of the most intelligent and articulate people (of course, I’m biased here since I personally enjoy very much reading their respective posts not only this thread but elsewhere) in this forum.

I’m not sure if this makes sense to others, but I think most of us realize when a post is clearly meant to incite rather than contributing to the spirit of the issue at hand. It was so obvious—posts on both sides of the argument—certain posts were personal attacks thinly veiled under the guise of “spirited” debate for the good of all. For example, if I were to assert openly, “exercise is real method for optimal health.” To what end would I respond to the clique demanding scientific proof to validate my opinion? Surely, we’ve all read reports both supporting and refuting the merits of exercise. Would it be a stretch to assume that the person who insists on scientific reports showing clearly exercise is beneficial is only doing so based on his or her finding my assertions unpalatable, for whatever reason? Equally, I find the dissenter who refutes my assertion of exercise simply because I was wrong on something completely unrelated, say the temperature on Mars when it’s orbiting the Sun in May, to be equally frivolous.

Now, for me, the interesting phenomenon was that when recognizing these personal attacks—intense emotional disliking for the Bear (and vice versa) supported by rationality—I found myself treating the individual poster very differently. For instance, for those on this board whom I’ve known and like personally over the years, their doing so didn’t bother me at all. If anything, I enjoyed reading their posts, and even found their open display of emotion endearing enough to sway me, even though I clearly recognize the guise and pretense under which their attacks were founded upon.

On the other hand, for whatever reason there are those making those identical posts as describe above for whom *at best* I will NEVER take seriously again.