#898   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 11:05

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
A pediatrician I consulted at the time of my second wife's pregnancy in 1960 told me that a newborn human baby could ONLY digest human milk and (not too fatty), under-cooked or raw, finely chewed or pureed- meat. He also said that grain and vegetable based baby foods like Pablum would cause serious gastric and colonic difficulties until the child reached at least 2-1/2 years of age.

Some vegans have famously been jailed for homicide for causing the deaths of their children from malnutrition due to their diet.

Bear,
I know you said your wife isn't on the all meat diet with you, but rather a low carb diet with some vegetation. I am wondering how did she eat DURING her pregnancies? Did she eat low carb? If so, How many carbs per day was she eating during pregnancy? I know Atkins doesnt recommend pregnant or lactating woman to follow Atkins induction (less than 20 carbs per day) but rather recommends The Atkins lifetime maintenance phase of the diet for pregnant and lactating women (70-100 carbs a day). I keep reading about how pregnant woman can't be in ketosis during pregnancy so they need to up their carbs to a safe level. I have also read that being in ketosis (below 50 carbs per day isn't good for the baby's brain development). I really don't know how much truth there is to it! I have run across a yahoo group where there are woman who DO advocate Atkins induction while pregnant, and these woman ARE eating less than 20 carbs a day while pregnant and saying it is perfectly safe. I am wondering if you can shed any light on this at all. Do you know what is a safe level of carb intake while pregnant or nursing? Would your all meat diet be safe for a pregnant woman? If so, Why? I am not pregnant right now, but if i become pregnant again in the future i am wondering how many carbs will be necessary! Thanks.
karen