Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 03:49
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Hearts recipe

Hi, Hellistile

You must be telepathic.. I just cooked a yummy beef heart casserole but it would probably work for chicken hearts, using chicken stock cubes instead of beef stock cubes.
I served it to my 2 teenage boys (with mashed potatoes and steamed veg .. they insist on the spuds!!). Asked them what the meat was, and they suggested "beef ?" so I told them that it was heart of ox.. the warrior's food.
They loved it.

Beef heart casserole:

2 small beef hearts (total 3 to 4 lb)
2 large onions or 3 bunches green onions
3 large cloves garlic
large red pepper
2 rashers bacon
1/2 lb mushrooms

2 english oxo cubes (they are quite large, substitute 6 small cubes of other stocks)
splash of chinese cooking wine or sherry
Tomato paste
pepper, oregano etc
olive oil or beef fat

Trim hearts of all stringy bits including any 'net' of fat and fibres around the outside.

Cut each heart in 2. Slice into quite thin slices.

In a frying pan, melt 1 tbsp beef fat or equiv olive oil

Sear the heart strips, add chopped onion garlic & chopped bacon and fry until all golden

Place in tight lidded pan, add crushed stock cubes and a splash of wine and simmer very slowly for 2 hours. No need to add extra liquid.

In frying pan, melt additional tbsp fat or oil, and fry finely sliced pepper and mushrooms until soft.

Add to casserole and simmer 15 minutes.

At this stage there should be quite a lot of liquid in the pan, add tomato paste until gravy is thickened to your liking. Add pepper, herbs etc to taste. Simmer for about another 5 minutes to blend flavours.

The peppers and mushrooms are added last otherwise they would cook away to nothing.

At this stage ATKINS people could add sour cream ("sob, sob!!")

Hope this works with the chicken hearts (apparently turkey hearts are more beefy)

Cheers

Michael Gardner