View Single Post
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-17, 05:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Last night I finished a good book that has nothing to do with low carb, but the coach had the answer to sugar addiction.

Dust Bowl Girls: The Boys in the Boat meets A League of Their Own in this true story of a Depression-era championship women’s basketball team.

The coach had nine rules. 2 was "Girls will maintain a proper diet. They will not skip meals. They will drink lots of water.
3 Players will not eat any sweets during basketball season. No bananas."
Other rules on curfew and sleep and exercise...but I was struck by the no sweets rule in 1932. No idea why the banana too...starchy and sweet?

The team accepted "no sweets" as common sense even though they exercised hard about three and half hours a day. In conversation about the poor surviving on cornbread and sorghum syrup, the girls noted that if the coach "ever saw any of his players touching the stuff, he'd suspend them from the team since one of his rules was the strict avoidance of all things sweet." The rare time a girl was sent fudge, or sneaked a teaspoon of sugar for coffee, it was noted in their dairies and so the book. I can only imagine the No Sweets rule was considered standard health advice for athletes, but whatever, a bright line rule they didn’t cross and end of "addiction" or 'sweet tooth' as one called it.