Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo

First of all I had every single symptom, quite badly, prior to begining LC. I know excess weight can also mess up the reproductive system, but that doesn't explain how the symptoms poofed almost over night upon starting the diet. The acne I had since I was about 9 years old went away within a week... far too short a time frame to attribute to weight loss. I had the first period in my life within a month of the diet.
Disappearing acne could be a result of illiminating proinflamatory and allegry triggering food from your diet , i.e. wheat, processed sugars, dairy. Many ppl don't realized that this is all they need to do to start feeling better.

Quote:
When I was 16 or 17 I had my hormones checked for abnormalities. Unfortunately I never got to see the results, but the doctor did say testosterone was "a little high" (I'm sure it was very significant, you know how doctors are - they play down anything they can't readily medicate). She wasn't even screening me for PCOS, so who knows what else showed up. I didn't request it, as I had no idea what PCOS was at the time... I just knew there was probably something wrong with my hormones.
I never got the ovarian ultrasound to check for cysts... I just got a referral from my doctor to have that done, though.
Even more reasons to finally get all the test done.

Quote:
I would accept low weight as a possible cause, but the thing is the problems began to onset when I was still obese. Maybe it's just the process of losing weight itself that is causing issues... maybe not. Personally I think it's the PCOS.
Actually, women with PCOS supposedly thrive on LC diets, for what I've read on the web so far. But everyone is different...

Quote:
People say tri = carbs ... but I am coming to the conclusion that high tri = insulin/metabolic abnormalities. It just so happens that for most people, the metabolic abnormalities are caused by over eating too many carbs.
It's still not necessary true, high TRI not always =high carbs. I suspect when one consumes a very high saturated fat diet, liver can become overburden with it and not function properly, resulting in higher CHO in generala nd high TRI. I agree that syndrome X is often related to being overweight or obese, not sure which come first, may be metabolic syndrome is what some ppl are born with, not just accure because of being overweight. Even when I was 194, my CHO was OK, < 200 and tri were <100. But I'm still overweight even at my current weight according to the BMI scale.

Quote:
I once read somewhere that those who have true metabolic syndrome often do rather poorly on ketogenic diets. If one really sits and thinks about it, it makes a lot of sense. To thrive on a ketogenic diet you really need to push insulin low, so as to fuel your body adequately. If for whatever reason you can't do that by dietary modification alone, your body won't be able to raise catabolic hormones and efficiently handle the protein/fat load you are dumping on your body. Result? You feel about as good as a diabetic with poor control. Sapped of energy and absolutely lethargic. You never quite get over induction "flu" because of the hyperinsulinemia. If this were true, it would certainly explain my intolerance of extremely low carbohydrate levels.
I'm nor voerly hyperinsulemic but I can't tolerate very low carb too, I don't feel lethargic but don't like this crappy nausated feeling, yuk.
But it is completely opposite to what Dr.Atkins states, that ketogenic diet will lower basal insulin in all cases, and I actually can't imagine that eating next to no carbs will keep insulin level still high. It could be in case when the controlling mechanism is broken beyond the point of being repaired, like in long term poorly controlled t2 diabetes.
It's not linear though, and another proof that we all are unique.
Regards,
Dina