#38   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 16:14
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Post Ketosis vs. ketoacidosis

First off, I apologize for the length of this post.That being said, I present the following for examination, from a search I done on ketosis vs. ketoacidosis. I could write a report based on my findings, had I the spare time; but I don't. My initial interpretation of the following articles is that ketosis and ketoacidosis are two entirely separate conditions, and ketosis does not lead to the latter.I merely present the facts here though and I leave it up to the individual to ascertain their own interpretations therof: (for those who may not know, the underlined materials are web links AND I apologize for any typoes, because KaeLyn woke up & I couldn't check for all the typoes )
Is Ketosis Safe? (click here) CYCLICAL KETOGENIC DIET,THE SCIENCE SURVIVING DIABETES & KETOSIS what is ketosis & how does it relate to low_carb diets? KETOSIS:MYSTERY OR MISCONCEPTION? INCREASED PROTEIN & KETONES DIETARY ABNORMALITIES: DKA DISCUSSION ABOUT KETOSIS VS. KETOACIDOSIS
Quote:
8. What is the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis?: Ketones are chemicals that your body produces as a by-product of combusting fat. They are excreted through your urine and breath. You can buy "Ketostix" which, when passed through urine, can tell you whether or not you are in ketosis. Ketosis happens during fasting, low carbohydrate diets, and pregnancy.Ketosis (what Dr. Atkins calls Benign Dietary Ketosis or BDK) should not be confused with ketoacidosis. Ketosis is a healthy state caused by using ketones for fuel and having "normal" blood sugar levels, brought about by eating a lowcarb diet. Ketoacidosis, on the other hand, is a dangerous state in which you are using ketones for fuel but have very high blood sugar. This causes the blood to turn acidic and harmful. Diabetics on a standard high carb, lowfat diet can suffer from ketoacidosis, because they are told they should eat complex carbohydrates to keep their blood sugar stable. For that reason, Ketostix were originally designed so diabetics could check their blood sugar levels.The next time someone warns you about ketosis, tell them this: Almost everyone enters ketosis almost every day, whether they're doing lowcarb or not. "Morning breath" -- that awful breath almost everyone wakes up with daily -- is pretty much "ketone breath". When you wake up in the morning, you've gone eight to twelve hours without food. Your body is no longer running on carbs, but on ketones: broken down fat. And that's true for EVERYBODY! You can't burn body fat without breaking that fat into ketones. There's no way around it; that's just how your body works. And it's a good thing (from http://www.lowcarbliving.net/FAQ.html)

Quote:
IS KETOSIS SAFE?Ketosis is a quite safe state to be in, ketosis is simply when more ketones are in the blood than that of glucose or ketone concentration is higher than normal. Some people have ketosis (a normal and safe condition) and ketoacidosis (which will kill you) confused, or actually interchange the two. Well, KETOSIS AND KETOACIDOSIS ARE NOT THE SAME THING! Ahem, sorry. Ketoacidosis only occurs in those who cannot use ketones for fuel, namely diabetics. Production of ketones is usually controlled very well and except for in diabetics excess ketones are just excreted in the urine (which is why peeing on ketostix determines whether or not you're in ketosis). Remember, stated earlier is that when insulin drops, glucagon raises and you go into ketosis among other cool things. In diabetics, insulin secretion cannot occur so blood glucose can be high without any insulin. This in turn means ketones can be produced while blood glucose is high and consequently blood sugar rises extremely high from normal 8-120mg/dl to a whopping 300-2000mg/dl and blood pH lowers until ketoacidosis occurs and you die. This does not, however, happen in normal healthy individuals
aND THIS IS INTERESTING:
Quote:
KetoStix controversy:Another interesting fact that can unpleasantly surprise those who religiously aim to increase ketone bodies' concentration and who hold their breath while checking the KetoStix: increased ketone bodies concentration suppresses the fat burning! It happens because ketones increase the secretion of insulin and directly inhibit lipolysis in the adipose tissue.
Quote:
Physiological Ketosis ::As we've mentioned, suckling babies (high-fat diet of the milk) are in a natural state of ketosis. Another natural ketosis occurs after exercise, caused by the depletion of stored carbohydrate reserves (glycogen) in the liver. Yet another natural state, which less desirable, is fasting that is prolonged beyond 24 hours. All these situations have in common a low carbohydrate-availability status.The first event, after withdrawal of food (or carbohydrates), is a lowering of plasma insulin accompanied by stimulation of fat burning. However, for the first 8-10 hours, there is no increase in blood-ketone bodies. Once food is introduced back into the system (unless it consists of low-carb foods,) when insulin concentration rapidly increases and FFA concentration decreases, there's a parallel decrease in ketone bodies. If the meal consists mainly of fats with little carbohydrates, the liver senses a continuing decrease in plasma insulin and the concentration of ketones remains high. This is why the truly low-carbohydrate diets sometimes are called regulated fasting. Pathological Ketosis The best example of pathological ketosis is insulin-dependent or Type I diabetes. The changes in this condition are similar to those during fasting, but they are dangerously pronounced. Insulin is pathologically very low and therefore there is no means to restrain adrenaline, noradrenaline and glucagon from excessive fat burning that can actually cause the deterioration of tissue (AND LAST,BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST) Metabolic Acidosis [B] The ketone bodies acetoacetate and hydroxybutyrate are both strong acids, which makes them metabolically disadvantageous since they decrease in the blood pH. The symptoms of severe acidosis include depression, weakness, anorexia and vomiting, and may eventually lead to coma.To the contrary, even prolonged fasting, where the blood ketone bodies may reach 8-10 mmol/l, does not cause a serious disturbance of the acid-base balance because there are natural biochemical-protective mechanisms, including acetone conversion into glucose in the liver.