View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-16, 12:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I just tried a variation on this recipe. It's very good. I have to make some tweaks, though.

- The dough was impossible to handle if I rolled it out as thin as you'd expect a real tortilla. It stuck to the parchment and it ripped when I tried to flip it. I might try oiling the paper next time, as well as making sure my pan is really hot and well-oiled.
- I might try just leaving them on the paper and baking them. This would be easiest with the half-recipe Fitartist posted. I'd just use a couple of cookie sheets.
- I only had about 3/4 cup of coconut flour left, so I sort of eye-balled down the ingredients. Next time, I'll measure more carefully. That could have made a difference.
- They had a bit of a funky flavour, but I'm 99% sure that's from my pan. It sort of tasted like bad bacon grease.

Overall, they were a bit of a fuss to make, but worth it. I haven't had anything resembling a tortilla in ages. I'll definitely be making these regularly. I made quesadillas out of them last night. Fantastic.

I would not sub flax. I'm pretty sure the psyllium is what gives it its bendy texture. I tried another wrap recipe a long time ago with flax and it was kind of a bomb. Not only did it not taste right (you don't really want 'nutty' in a tortilla) but they fell apart. I had to eat whatever I made with a knife and fork.

I will also try this pita version. It's basically the same, except less psyllium and apparently, if you skip the oil, it holds together better.