Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/LCHF
Stats: 209/185/185 Male 69
BF:reducing
Progress: 100%

I was following you until here ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
But there's a big problem with the whole idea. The liver does not actually resist insulin at any point. On the contrary, even in the most extreme cases of diabetes type 2, the liver will continue to normally receive - and respond to - insulin, which will inhibit ketogenesis as its first act. Proof is in the blood - zero ketones.

I agree insulin inhibits ketogenesis.

Quote:
If the liver was truly resistant to insulin, there would be lots of ketones.

No, because there is alot of insulin around.
Anything but low insulin = No ketogenesis.

----====----
In fact, "insulin resistance" is deemed to be akin to absence relative deficiency of insulin, and in this case - diabetes type 1 - there is no insulin, and there's tons of ketones.
----====----

There is excess of insulin in Type 2 diabetes.
Anything but low insulin = No ketogenesis.

Feel free to ask questions.

FWIW, the idea that "type 2 is like type 1 because of a "relative lack" of insulin" .... is a misleading line of thinking. It explains the hyperglycemia but ignores insulin and insulin resistance.
Type 2 and 1 one are entirely different diseases and one of them should be renamed to highlight this. While discussing Diabetes Type II, there should be no references to Type I (to avoid needless confusion, simple is good) They are different diseases and the audiences dont really overlap. The overlap (MODY etc) is acceptable in professional discussion but

Type 2 = super high insulin, sugars high, insulin resistance high
Type 1 = no insulin, sugars high, insulin resistance low (until you start injecting insulin). Type 1 can have high insulin resistance if they become obese eating carbs. They usually are super skinny to start ... as they haven't had insulin for a while ... as their beta cells were being killed by their immune systems.

Hope that helps.

Feel free to ask questions.