View Single Post
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-17, 09:53

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

What ticks me off about this especially is that these articles zeroed in on coconut oil, following the BBC news it seems as they were the first to do so from what I noticed.

The Medscape summary was the first I read (available from Google search for title: AHA Issues 'Presidential Advisory' on Harms of Saturated Fat).

Excerpts:

Quote:
The statement, published online in Circulation on June 15, continues to strongly recommend replacing saturated fats with poly- and monounsaturated vegetable oil to help prevent heart disease. ..."There has been a growing trend of media articles focusing on small studies suggesting some saturated fats are good for you," Dr Sacks said. "People advocating that eating butter and full-fat milk is beneficial. And coconut oil is a fad right now — but it is actually a saturated fat, which raises your LDL [low-density lipoprotein], so the AHA wanted to look at the issue again."

I'm guessing that's as far as some "reporters" read.

Quote:
"Our message is that polyunsaturated fats are the best fats to eat. They are found mainly in vegetable oils such as soy bean oil, peanut oil, corn oil," he said. "Monounsaturated fats, found in sunflower oil, olive oil, nuts, and avocado, are also okay — much better than saturated fats, but not as healthy as polyunsaturated fats."

The last few years has seen an increase in knowledge on benefits of polyunsaturated fats, he said. "They are associated with a reduction in total mortality and no compensatory increase in death from other causes; they are also associated with a reduction in insulin resistance. The same is seen with monounsaturated fats, but the effect is less."

How's this for an alternative headline summarizing this "advisory"? "The American Heart Association says eat more soybean and corn oil." (Paid for by the Corn and Soybean Growers of America.)