#5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 19:19
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I am glad you are doing so well.

I am also amazed how mainstream doctors refused to accept low carb. I asked doctors for years for an explanation for my weight gain and no one suggested carbs. Last year, when I went for a check-up after losing 80 pounds, my doctor refused to believe that I had done it by low carbing. He insisted I must have finally decided to follow his advice to cut calories and increase exercise. Well, I tried to cut calories for years but I couldn't stand being hungry, so I always ended up increasing them again and I never lost weight. If anything, trying to cut calories made me gain more weight because it would send me into an eating binge triggered by wildly fluctuating blood sugar. I do exercise more now, but that's because I have more energy and find it easier to do things now that I have lost over 100 pounds.

I used to get really mad about it, but I don't anymore because it doesn't do any good. Now, I just do my best to educate whoever asks me. I get lots of questions because losing over 100 pounds is pretty obvious, so it gives me lots of opportunities to try to corect people's misinformation about low carbing.