#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-24, 13:40

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
The problem with the drugs is that, unless you continue to take them the lost weight will quickly come back. The drugs do nothing to change a person's eating habits.

Not to mention that they are rather expensive drugs.

Of course I don't know how the costs of a lifetime of semaglutide drugs for appetite control compares to the cost of a lifetime of drugs and treatments for diabetes and other obesity related illnesses though. I'm not sure they've even compared the costs...

And as Arielle points out below, it will probably end up being a passing fad anyway, once they realize the potentially very devastating side effects of semaglutide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Imho, Ozempic and such will be a passing fad. The side effects will be revealed more widely . ( With a bit of sleuthing its already known that it deletes muscle mass as well as fat mass.)Ofcourse, those that dont care about muscle mass will continue to use it.

In case it's forgotten,high fat- high protein diets are far more protective of muscle. A high carb diet, low in calories, uses up muscle mass. DANDR discusses the three studies.

... although to be honest, there are plenty of people who don't really care about side effects - they're perfectly fine with taking another drug to counteract the side effects, which is where the drug that mimics exercise could come into play.

Of course that drug has the side effect of heart enlargement, so they'll need another drug that specifically prevents the heart enlargement caused by the exercise mimicking drug.

The way that medication side effects so often lead to more and more medications with more and more side effects that need more medications to counteract those side effects - it all reminds me far too much of this old nursery rhyme:
Quote:
There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I don't know how she swallowed a cow;
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!

(we'll just go with the next to last verse, because I'm sure you get the idea )