#12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 19:16

Plan: MODIFIED ATKINS
Stats: 225/150/130 Female 65 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default New To This Forum

I'd like to begin by introducing myself, hi everyone, my name is Maria
I had just about given up on doctors and ever feeling like myself again when I thought I would google the thread: incorrect thyroid results and I found this site. I'm sure glad that I did because I have a little more hope once again. My problem began almost 2 years ago when I began suffering from severe constipation despite no change in my diet. My doc gave me some powder and sent me on my way. When that stopped working, he sent me to a gastroenterologist, who despite the fact that I didn't have any symptoms beside the constipation, told me that I had ibs, gave me zelnorm and sent me on my way, ( all this without performing any tests). I know, I was batting a 1000! I didn't know the symptoms of thyroid until reading an article and when I asked my doc, he performed a T-3 exam and told me that the results were "normal", the most dreaded words that I have had to deal with for the past year. I pushed on and went to an endocrinologist and she asked me about my symptoms which included-an over 25 pound weight gain in less than 6 months, even though I have always followed a low calorie, moderate car diet while doing cardio and weight training 4-5 days a week, always feeling cold, lethargic, depressed (who wouldn't be at this point?), loss of muscle tone in my calves, menstruating only 5 times in 3 years, always fatigued no matter how much rest I got. I know my body was out of whack and the doc told me that based on my symptoms that I was "highly symptomatic". This gave me hope, that I would finally get the help that I sought, but once again I was thwarted by the term "normal".
My test results came back as follows:
T3- 30.2 from a 25.0-39.3 range
T4- 9.7 from a 4.5-12.0 range
T7- 2.9 from a 1.0-4.5 range
TSH- 3.51 from a 0.40-4.5 range
She didn't even mention T3 or T4 free tests, and when I mentioned to her that I had read that the throid test result numbers had been lowered, she told me that I sshe knew about that but she couldn't justify putting me on meds. I just about broke down crying in frustration and that's why I had nearly given up hope. To add insult to injury, because of the fact that I used to be 225 pounds and had lost 100 pounds and kept it off for 4 years, she told me that my weight gain could be my body going back to it's ideal weight and that I'd probably wouldn't lose the weight I'd gained. She also tole me that perhaps I had an image problem, that I was a lovely young woman who guys would love to day!!!! I had never been so friggin angry in my life and it took all slf control to leave her office without throwing something. I have visited the site listing the top thyroid docs in my state of N.Y, and have found one, Dr. Stella Ilyayeva, and even though I'm afraid to go through all this drama again, I feel that if I don't get some answers soon I'll lose my mind. Anyone out there have any suggestions, as any help,and or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your patience.