#75   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 10:58

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlovely
I just don't like how the answer is always that something is happening to these people, rather than what they are actively doing. Like we are all just victims of our circumstances - all the time.
I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't see it as such extremes of either/or, or always/never. Both things are happening at the same time.

Quote:
Now, we're telling poor people they're obese because lots of external forces are banding together to keep them that way.
I would hope that we are telling poor people that it's PART of the story - is it 100% under the control of the person? Maybe food purchasing is - if you can get to a store, and if the food's there.

Quote:
There is just no way that is entirely true. Plenty of things in your life are within your zone of control. For example, the food you purchase at the supermarket is within your zone of control. Even if you're on food stamps, or a fixed income, or are broke, you can buy healthy food - all the time. I know this because I experience with it.
Yes, I agree with that too, IF you know what food is healthy. When my own family was poor growing up, my parents would buy cheap filling starches and cut down on proteins and good fats. My parents didn't know about proportions of protein or any of that. They did not buy sodas or boxed cereals or treats. We lived on reconstituted dried milk, outlet store white bread, margarine, potatoes, oatmeal, ground beef, canned veg and spam. a disaster for me personally. And they thought they were providing healthy meals.

Quote:
Why is that not a positive message? How can telling people that something is within their control NOT be helpful?
that IS helpful, and boy do we need it! But there is a difference between saying something concrete like "you can buy healthful things at the store even when broke," versus something like "if you are poor and fat, it's because of your choices." Sorry if I misread your post.