View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 16:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Coconut flour is essentially just the residue left after making coconut milk, dried and then blended to a powder. If you are willing to do a bit of work (the blender or food processor does most of it), and have a use for coconut milk, and have a source for plain, unsweetened dehydrated coconut (Indian or Pakistani market is probably cheapest) then this is easy. My favorite Asian cookbook describes it this way: put 1 cup dried, unsweetened coconut in a blender or food processor, and add 1 1/2 cups of hot water. Blend for 30-40 seconds. Pour the contents through a fine sieve, pressing out as much liquid as possible (this makes about 1 cup of coco milk). You can repeat the process with the same coconut to get a somewhat thinner second batch of milk. Mixed together they are fine for most recipes. To get the flour: spread the coconut residue on a baking sheet, and put it in the oven at the lowest possible heat; prop the door open a bit by inserting a wooden spoon handle between door and frame, to let the moisture escape. Leave until thoroughly dry. (Or use a dehydrator if you have one). This will take at least several hours; I've only done it in a dehydrator, so can't say how long it would take in the oven. Pulverize the dried coconut to a fine powder - and there you have coconut flour! The reason for making the coconut milk first, rather than just processing the shredded or flaked coconut directly to flour, is that you want to get some of the fat out. This ends up in the milk instead. I don't know if this actually makes a difference in the final baked product made with coconut flour, but can imagine that it might. (Be aware that coconut flour won't be as fine and powdery as regular wheat flour, but get it as fine as you can using your blender or processor)