Old Tue, Jun-03-14, 10:33
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
That comment from Jenny Ruhl has stuck with me too (she develops it more in her book Diet 101) - bascially low carbers eat both high fat AND high carb when they go off the low carb diet. I know that's true for me, and I think it's contributed to the speed of regain when I've gone off the rails in the past 5 years.

I wasn't afraid of fat before LC so that element didn't affect me, I think. I was simply ignorant about it entirely. I thought 'country crock' was butter or same-as.

LC did change the way I ate even when I was offplan (and I am intentionally not LC at all currently, except it happens by sheer accident most the time anyway). I was a lot less inclined, after the experience, to eat foods that are utterly useless and crappy and dangerous (e.g. Top Ramen noodles). And if I was going to eat something like ice cream, I wouldn't have a cheap crappy version of it at a fast food place, I'd go to the grocery and have a quality version of it like Haagen Dazs. I've always eaten butter not margarine after that, and that is still a better choice, even when carbs+fats aren't ideal.

I think LC and whole-foods made me realize, even when I was later off plan at times, that QUALITY food was important. If I did eat off plan during times I was generally LC, I was more likely to do it in a nice restaurant with rich foods that happened to have carbs, than to do it at a drive-thru.

One of the biggest lessons I learned on LC/whole-foods was that I had not paid enough attention to food and had not been kind enough to myself with it. If I was going to be fat, for godssakes let it be on tortellini alfredo and quality cheesecake and steak and baked potatoes with butter and sour cream -- not Taco Bell. Although LC obviously didn't dictate what I ate when not LC, the experience of finally paying attention to food and its quality did.

PJ