Old Tue, Jul-12-16, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/174/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Mpl, you may have mentioned this before, but a) how old are you and b) are you on any meds?

Around menopause, with the spikes and troughs of hormones, a lot of women take longer to start losing with LCHF. But they do lose, and they don't gain.

Any medication can interfere with your ability to lose, some more than others. Or, a lack of medication, for example, an undiagnosed condition like hypothyroid, will make losing weight particularly challenging, as a slow thyroid slows down the metabolism and leads to depression symptoms and lack of energy to move.

Right around the time I turned 50, I joined a web program called ediets.com. I followed it faithfully, day after day for three months. In the first month, I lost 10 lbs. In the second two, I gained 12.

I've been a wellness coach for 15 years, now, and even with all the conventional wisdom that I learned throughout my adult life, I was unable to lose more than a few pounds by following the best conventional program I knew of. By eliminating grains, potatoes and sweets, I managed to lose 20. But then, I got stuck, and, by dropping total carbs to under 20/day, I have lost another 12, and am only 7 lbs from the goal I'd come to believe I'd never make.

But. This is over the course of three years. I would try, if I were you, to stick to 20 or fewer total carbs/day, and give it a good month. See what happens.

Hi MickiSue,

Your posts are always so encouraging and enlightening!

I am on nothing except for lisinopril for high bp, which actually is coming down a bit and I hope one of the benefits from lc is that I can go off of it eventually.

I hit menopause about 8 years ago. I had my thyroid checked as a 12 year old because I gained about 10 pounds with puberty and my very appearance-obsessed young parents freaked. Everything checked out. I now feel terrific, look forward to walking 3 miles a day (1.5 miles to work and another 1.5 miles back), so doubt it is a thyroid issue, but I could get certainly get it checked.

I am so impressed with your progress! I'll definitely try to stay under 20 carbs and give it a month. Not sure what else to try, and except fort the lack of weight/inches progress, this WOE is awesome.