View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 08:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 300/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi, TwilightZ!

Thanks for the welcome - I'm glad to be here.

What you say about authorship of book makes sense to me. She's also written one about menopause (Sex, Lies, and Menopause) which is on my list to read. I am 52 and just started menopause with a bang this year. A friend who read it already told me Wiley believes we should not have menopause, that it is unnatural, animals don't cease to be capable of reproduction so we shouldn't either. Hmmm. I think the cavewomen were like us in this respect, and didn't take any hormones for it either.

I really agree with you that Lights Out has a lot of inconsistencies, but that the main point about light/darkness and health is valid. I liked the insights on exercise too.

It is kind of funny to think of us would-be cave people, knowing we need to spend lots of time outdoors, and sitting here typing to each other on our computers in the nice cozy house.

Yesterday's For Better Or For Worse comic addressed this issue. The 20-something woman is talking about her plan to teach in the far north, to encounter another culture, to live in a primitive way, get in touch with history and the wilderness. Her boyfriend's face falls - please keep in touch. Oh, I'll email you, she replies.

I hope you do write to Wiley - I would love to hear more from her on this topic.

Purple Bass - you're probably right about people not being meant to live in Scotland (or other high latitude places). Maybe we are evolved for a low latitude day/night pattern and we haven't been in the far north/south long enough for a biological adjustment. My grandmother grew up in a peasant culture in Lithuania and talked about the very long work days in summer - from sunup to sundown.

Hey, all you cave people who liked Lights Out - let's do it together. This is the perfect time to start planning - to get our room darkening shades, figure out how to cover our light-up devices, prepare our families, and generally get excited about trying out this idea. This is one of those things that is so out of the mainstream that a support group is really needed - and here we are.

This is hello and farewell for a while from me. We leave on vaction tomorrow morning, so I may check in later today, but I'll be gone 'til after Labor Day.

So long, cave folks, have a good rest-of-August.

Daylily