View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 11:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'd like to think that there are wonderful protective factors in honey as well. But I don't. At least, I don't seem to be protected vs. binging on honey. Honey might have been ingested by humans for a very long time. But not in massive quantities, except for seasonally for groups like the Hadza.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/article...honeyguide-bird

Men eating more honey might be just a division of labour thing, the accounts of honey gathering all seem to involve men, they probably eat a fair bit right away when they come across a hive. I'm thinking they aren't any more protected against binging on honey than I am.

Something I thought was a mistake was when folk like Kurt Harris started talking about "paleo re-enactment" as if it were a bad thing. If we knew exactly why a people like the Hadza do as well as they do while eating a fair amount of honey, we could just say, okay do just that. Honey is protective? Get lots of sunlight? Do a certain kind of exercise? Eat "safe" starches that aren't wheat? Fermented foods? It's hard to be certain just what it is about their diet and lifestyle that works. We know something does. If there are twenty differences between one group and another, and one has a better result, the best result might not come from thinking that you know how things work--but from re-enactment, change those twenty things, and without knowing why the new way of eating/lifestyle works, it seems fairly likely that there will be improvement. As long as the protection doesn't come from genetic or multigenerational differences. A very long winded way for me to say that I'm not sure how I could safely eat honey without going full-Hadza.