Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 17:27
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessara
I wonder if the gay community views Bi as one of them or of the other. I'm monogamous but very few of the non-BI and including some BI just don't believe me.

Lessara, PilotGal and Everyone ...

My humble opinion is that the gay community does consider us part of the family, just a little different. Perhaps the way many G&L feel about transgendered folks. It was a big deal in Seattle when we changed the name of our Pride Parade to GLBT. So many people fought against including both B&T ... like it somehow diluted the purity of G&L. Their loss.

As far as the sluttiness factor, again, their loss if they pre-judge who you are based on a descriptor. My partner told me she'd never be with a bi woman ... and it's been over 9 blissful, monogamous years for us now. I obviously overcame her reticence. She feared that bi women will run to men, given 1/2 a chance ... the thing is, people of all stripes can be unfaithful. And is it any worse to lose a lover to a man than another woman? Not in my opinion.

Oh ... and Lessara ... "I had a counselor who once told me that I was really a lesbian but because of my fear of being not allowed in the Catholic religion I buried it." Whether there is truth or not in that statement, only you know ... but I'm pretty sure bisexual people aren't particularly greeted with fanfare by the church hierarchy either. You said there might be a grain of truth there ... what do you think? Do you feel the same emotional / sexual / romantic connection with men that you do with women? Like I said in an earlier post, for me, I was born bi ... but I choose to be a lesbian because that's where my heart lies. And regardless of my sexuality, being faithful just comes naturally.

I know you already know this, PilotGal, but it bears repeating that STD's cross all gender and sexual preference lines. Two years ago I lost a friend to AIDS. She contracted HIV from her partner, a lifelong lesbian who had used IV drugs in the mid 80's. Nothing but abstinence is 100% safe. Undoubtedly you are right that sticking with lesbians exclusively will decrease your odds of contracting a STD, but it's all about choices and what risks are worth it. I respect your choice, and I hope you respect my partners, too.

PS - Do you guys think there are no transgendered people on the forum, that they're closeted, don't think it's relevant in a LC context or just haven't found this thread? I'm just interested in your opinions ...

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!