View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/184/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Thumbs up Low Carb Forum Mega Muffin - Great for Induction!

Hi Everyone,

I have been playing with various recipes already posted on here.. so I must give credit where credit is due.. I started out with the Mock Danish Which is great for induction, but a little too sweet and eggy sometimes for me. Then I got great inspiration from the Flax Bread recipe, and the Bowl Muffins Which are all great recipes... I have kinda combined them all including the information about Coconut Oil and general posts people made when commenting on these recipes. Hence the name... it is truly a Low Carb Forum Muffin!

Recipe:
1 Large Egg
4 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed
1 oz Cream Cheese, cut into approximate thirds
1 packet of Splenda or equivalent type of sweetener (or to taste)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter) - For those of you used to taking CO it works great in this recipe, for those of not using CO, Butter works just as well, for those of you wanting to incorporate CO into your daily regime, this is a great way to start, but after reading the posts, I strongly suggest you start out with only a tsp of CO, and then make up the remaining 2 TBSP with Butter.. and gradually increase the amounts of CO while decreasing the amounts of butter... so that you still have 2tbsp of either CO, Butter, or a combination of both.

In a cereal bowl, I put in 1 of the thirds of Cream Cheese, and the 2 TBSP CO (or Butter), then nuke it for a short time, 10 - 15 seconds is plenty.

While this is nuking, I lightly butter (not counted above) the sides of my container that I am going to cook this in. I personally love to use a plastic one I have that is about 3 X 5 inches wide X length by 3 inches deep.

Take your bowl and add to it: the egg, flax seed, Splenda, cinnamon, and the vanilla. I mix this up with a fork.. and I mix it for almost a minute, as your mixing you will notice that your eggs will go from being "eggy" to being more "creamy", for my personal pallette I think this makes a big difference in the end result. Once done mixing I throw in the Baking Powder and give a last mix incorporating the Baking powder.. again I just feel it helps the muffin rise a bit higher.

Pour the mixture into your buttered baking container. Again with the one I use it fills it about 1/2 way. Then I take the remaining Cream Cheese thirds and I set them into the middle of the batter pushing them lightly so that the batter comes up along the sides of the Cream Cheese a little bit.

I nuke this on high for 2 minutes... the batter cooks and rises up and over the Cream Cheese and will come up about a 1/2 inch over the top of my container...
This muffin reminds me of a great seven grain one I used to purchase from a local coffee shop... I can't wait till I am moving into Owl, so I can add nuts, SF Jam, etc...

Nutritional Information (My best based on reading labels):

1 Large Egg ( 74cal, .4 carb, 6.29g protein, 5g fat)
1 oz Cream Cheese (98cal, .74 carb, 2.11g protein, 9.76g fat)
1 packet of Splenda or equivalent type of sweetener (or to taste) (1 net carb)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Powder (It says none, but I count a .5 )
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil (or Butter) No carbs in either
4 Tbsp Milled Flax Seed (120cal, 8g carbs all Dietary fibre so Net carbs = 0, 6g protein, 10g fat)

Total Net Carbs = less then 3 (2.64)
Sponsored Links