View Single Post
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/125 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Yes, people of any age can be cruel. I'm sorry you were teased, and I know how you just can't forget the things that were said to you in school.

I had no idea that AN was a sign of insulin resistance until I did an internet search for "dark armpits+treatment", looking for some sort of skin care products or something that might help (I had done an internet search for "dark armpits+treatment", thinking that I might find some lightening skin care products. That day I found out about AN and a light went on. I wish my younger self knew about this. I could have put away the doughnuts and the spaghetti and looked decent in a bathing suit! I remember when I was about ten I was wearing a tank top and a girl said to me "Eww, your armpits are dirty!" I had never noticed it before but I have never been sleeveless around anyone since then. I recently read that doctors in some areas are screening school children for AN so that changes can be made before they develop diabetes.

Many times I scrubbed and scrubbed until I was raw trying to get rid of the dark areas. I finally gave up, thinking that my skin was just naturally uneven. I figured that someday I could afford some of that ultra-whitening stuff that dermatologists can prescribe. Thank God that I can just change my eating habits instead! I know that looking good isn't as important as being healthy, but it's so nice that by choosing the latter we can have the former as well.

Good luck with your low carbing, Ruby! I'm glad it's working for you so far.