View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:00

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

It seems to me Heinz is only replacing sugar with sucralose. Are we going to end up consuming pounds and pounds of the stuff, just like sugar ? What are going to be the long term consequences of that.

Seems to me the solution is to get back to natural wholesome food, not chemical substitutes. I wonder just how many of the benefits that Atkins follower enjoys are due to exactly that. Going back to a more natural way of eating, with fresh meat, fish, and vegetables. I wonder if those benefits will evaporate once low-carb becomes popular like low-fat and the store shelves are stocked with low-carb, nutrionally deficient, crap.

Don't forget the american tendency to oversimplify. For example, once it was said that the French were healthier because they consumed a lot of wine. Or the Asians were healthier because they consume a lot of low-fat carb. Or the Mediterranean are healthier because they consume a lot of olive oil. All of those are over-simplifications.... as is blaming everything on simply carbs. Carbs are a problem yes, but it's part of a complex equation of which it's one of the factors. The over reliance on over-processed chemical-laden, nutrition-poor junk food is another.

As we have seen in the past, the industry does not give a rat's posterior about people's health, only their bottom line. The wave of low-carb food that is coming, is unavoidable as the tide. I have a sneaking suspicion that people will come to rely on them just as they have relied on low-fat in the past. And lost in the glare of the marketing will be the fact that junk food is junk food, wether it is low-fat or low-carb.

/rant off