View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 02:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/254/220 Male 201 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

This is my first post to the forum. Approximately 12 years ago, I decided to get in shape and lose a lot of excess pounds. I am 6' 8", was 35 and at the time weighed approximately 247 lbs (mostly fat). From the beginning of February of that year until Easter, I completed a 10 week journey that transformed my body from a 247 lbs stuffed sausage to a lean 218 lbs (coincidentally, this was what I weighed in high school). At the end of the 10 weeks, I was in the best shape of my life. I don't know if my approach would work for everyone, but this is how I did it:

First I followed the Atkins plan and limited myself to 20 grams of carbs a day for the entire 10 week duration. This was not easy, but being able to eat as much steak, bacon and sausage as I wanted helped quite a bit. I drank water, sugar-free whey protein shakes and coffee, but didn't touch alcohol or soft drinks.

Second, I started working out on a steady cardio program with moderate weight training. The first time I attempted 20 minuted on the stair machine, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. However, I kept at it and every day it got easier. I would try to keep at the cardio 5 or 6 days a week and moderate weightlifting every second day. I used a stair machine and elliptical for cardio, and basic weight machines for lifting. I also did sit-ups every day before my cardio routine.

It is important to point out that a calorie is not a calorie. While the classic method of losing weight involves eating less calories than you burn. However, on the low carb diet this is not the case. As long as you severely limit your carb intake and up your fat intake, you will lose body fat. It makes absolutely no difference how many calories you intake while doing this. I was able to drastically lose body fat on this program while I put on muscle mass no matter how much fat and protein I ate.

Other things I learned while on this program was to drink as much water as I could, supplement my diet with a tablespoon of flax seed or fish oil every day and take a quality multivitamin. I also used psyllium husks to boost my fiber intake and assist with regularity.

Hope this helps!

I am currently back on the program after getting married and eating badly for the last 6 years. My wife and I decided to follow the same program I did 12 years ago and make a commitment to better health in 2017.