Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: vegan lowcarb (self-made)
Stats: 178/172/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviesprite
everyone I've ever asked about this who is thin and in good shape doesn't eat after 7 or 8 pm.

This is a rule I always tried to stick to, but I broke it fairly often. But I feel it did help a lot when I was strict about it. I would actually be hungry when I woke up. I'm going to stick with it for now unless I find out something different. No food within 2 hours of sleeping, maybe even 3.

Quote:
I probably wouldn't do carbs right before bed because they make me hungry.

Definitely not. I'm ending my days with the fat/pro seed drink. It does have a small amount of carbs, though (even though it has a glycemic load of zero), so this has me thinking that I should err more on the side of 3 hours before bed.

Quote:
They give you energy and you have all day to burn them off.

That's what I figured. It's similar to what a lot of bodybuilders do. They call if "frontloading" because you load more of your carbs into the front of the day. A lot of bodybuilders also frontload calories in general. I can see it making sense, but what I can also see making sense (and what I've been doing so far this week) is to try to prolong the ketone-burning you achieve overnight by depriving your body of carbs for an additional 3-4 hours after waking. And what I started doing this week is eating the majority of my carbs pre- and post-workout because I feel like I'm maximizing the usefulness of the carbs that way by using them for energy during the workout as well as for replenishment of glycogen stores afterward (which is very important for weightlifting). So far, so good. As long as my weight goes down this week...

Quote:
I understand about doing carbs pre and post workout. You could just make sure your timing is right before switching back to protein.

I'll give it some thought. Yesterday I did basically fat and carbs (with a little protein) as a pre-workout meal. I hear what you're saying about keeping the carbs separate, and I can see it making some sense. I'm just not sure what I would eat that doesn't also contain a decent amount of either fat or protein. Does she offer guidlines on how much fat or protein is too much to be including with your carbs? So far I have been eating all of my carbs with a good amount of either fat or protein (usually both) to keep the insulin response low.

Quote:
You've actually inspired me to try a vegan meal once a week.

Cool! Let me know how it goes.

Quote:
I'm sure you understand what I am saying - some things act like a carb in your body even if they say zero carbs.

For sure. I don't drink (except for the occasional red wine), so that's not a problem. Alcohol definitely messes with your insulin/metabolic regulation, so I almost always avoid it. I also avoid diet soda and most artificial sweeteners for the same reason (raises insulin, make you crave carbs). The ony sweetener I use is stevia (TruVia) and I don't even use that much anymore. Are there any other ones you can think of offhand that I should know about?