Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

Hi Rosbund,

I will like to reply to some of your Information:

Quote:
Oedema
This will only happen if you have kidney disease.
Too much protein will not do you any harm whatever. The only problem it will cause is to make it harder for you to lose weight.

Quote from vitaviva.com:

Oedema
Caused by pooling of liquid from the bloodstream in body tissues, following imbalance in the salt/water balance of the body, or poor circulation. Liquid will pool in the legs, abdominal cavity or in the lungs. Seen in heart-, liver-and kidney disease.

This is what Gilibel posted in the European's thread and then gave me the above information and meaning of Oedema or edema.

Quote:
About water retention/oedema.

I just got this info from another list I'm on. Oedema can be caused by too much protein. This info comes from someone who's doing Atkins and used to do Montignac (she lost about 30kgs since Nov. last year.)

According to her, ones intake of protein shouldn't be higher in grams than 1 to 1.5 times ones weight in kilos.
Which means, for me weighing 67 kgs, I should have between 67 and 100.5g of protein daily. And that's where I was before according to Fitday, when I check my old average!! The last few weeks I've been much higher (around 125-160g protein daily) and that is also when my oedema started...

Oedema is not only caused by heart, liver and kidney disease.

Other Symptoms not necessarily having anything to do with kidney, liver or heart disease are:

"Oedema of the ankles is quite common, especially in hot weather, at high altitude and if movement is restricted. This swelling is usually ‘dependent’, meaning that the pressure of fluid in the legs, from prolonged standing or sitting, pushes it into the surrounding tissues. Rotating the ankles regularly is recommended." - www.britain.tv

And also Pre menstrual Syndrome.

Percentages

Many people have told me in this forum about asking the ATKINS CENTER for advice on the right percentages, and these are the percentages they sent to them in reply to their questions.

Fiber

You are right. People have different needs. But I have also seen in this forum, that the avarage amounts of Fiber are 15-20 gms/day. The Atkins Center recommends having 3 cup of vegetables during induction. But they also enphasis that is not the same having 1 cup of iceberg lettuce (1 gm of fiber per cup) than eating 1 cup of Chicory, "a type of lettuce that adds a pleasantly bitter flavor to a salad, has more than 7 grams of fiber per cup,"- Atkins Center.

I think is up to you. On the way you feel.

Yogurt.

Quote:
would avoid yoghurt at present. 1 cup of full fat yoghurt has 12 carbs. You are MUCH better off eating those carbs mostly as vegies. If you are doing Induction at present, yoghurt is not allowed anyway.

I recommended her having the greek yugurt, max. 3 days a week, and one yogurt cup of 125 gms ( the individual serving, actually 3.5 gms of carbs) because Loonie mentioned that she needs to have her milk.
Rosebund is correct. Yogurt or milk is not allowed during induction most of all due to its high carbohydrate content.
This has been my personal recommendation I have been having my individual serving of yogurt 2 - 3 times a week with no negative effect.

Calories

Yes, it is correct. because we are in the process of getting to have nice looking stats, I suggested her to have this ammount of calories : between 1600-1800. We are in the process of higher the level of calories little by little.

A way to find out how many calories your body needs, is as follows (primusweb.com) This amounts of calories are for WEIGHT MAINTENANCE

The Easy Way

If all of those calculations seem too confusing or tedious, you can roughly estimate your daily calorie requirements using this simple formula:

For sedentary people: Weight x 14 = estimated cal/day
ex: my wekght (218 lbs) x 14 = 3052 calories

For moderately active people: Weight x 17 = estimated cal/day

For active people: Weight x 20 = estimated cal/day

Note: Moderately Active is defined as 3-4 aerobic sessions per week. Active is defined as 5-7 aerobic sessions per week.

Sources:
Ruth Lahmayer MS, RD, "How Low Should Calories Go?", IDEA Today, September 1989
American Council on Exercise, Personal Trainer Manual: The Resource For Fitness Instructors, (Boston, MA: Reebok University Press, 1991

Lonnie, Please look around the forum, and let me know if you see "loosers" having that many calories.

I have also seen this other post This amount of calories are TO LOSE WEIGHT.

Posted by justdoinit

Quote:
You figure out what you want to weigh, and how many calories a day you need to consume to support that body weight, and that is how many calories a day you eat. So theoretically, you eventually end up weighing your ideal weight, and you never have to adjust the way you eat again because you have been eating the ideal number of calories to support that ideal weight all along.

So, if you use the BMR calculator, try plugging in your ideal weight instead of your current weight. For example, for my current weight and activity level, my total (not basal) calorie need is 2485, but based on my ideal weight that would be 2053 (basal 1553 versus 1283).

So now, lets calculate:

For example: My BMR for my actual weight (99.5 kgs) is 1776 calories (Fitday)

So now I know that in order to lose weight, reaching my goal weight 65 kgms , I need to have 1450 calories a day + 20% increase due to my activity level( sedentary slightly active). Total 1740 calories a day.

Quote:
I would try to increase your calories to reach about 2000. And the best way to do that is by adding fat.

You can have more and preferably coming from fat, as Rosebund mentioned.

halo_slips has lost 2.5 kgs due to my recommendations in 1 week.
Nille, has also lost near 4 kgs while following also my recommendations in 2 weeks

(They are the only two people (buddies) I have helped to get out of a stall).

Thank you Rosebund for your input and recommendations. This has helped me to clarify Lonnie more points.