View Single Post
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-14, 09:22

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Yum, bone broth. I'll be having some at lunch as it is another fasting day for me. Monday seemed pretty easy, I hope today will be as well. I'll be at the gym for an hour and 1/4 this morning, and have a long list of Things to Do to keep me from thinking about food this afternoon.

Thanks for the study on eating 6x/day vs. 2x, JLx. It certainly accords with what I have found both in terms of hunger and weight loss. It is still very difficult for me to not have a snack at 4 if I eat lunch. An ideal schedule for me would probably be breakfast at 8 and lunch/dinner somewhere around 4. I've got my husband on board with the *idea* of following Fung's plan, so who knows, it might happen.

Last night I watched the remaining video on the IDM site that I'd never watched - the Story of Calcium. Not surprisingly, Dr Fung brings up a bunch of studies that show that calcium supplements are either not helpful or even harmful, though he is supportive of getting calcium from food, particularly green leafy vegetables (and he points out that cows get calcium from vegetation as well). He is particularly opposed to relying on milk for calcium as it is 1) not a good source and 2) has too much insulin-raising protein and growth factors. So far, so good, but he cites T Colin Campbell's findings to support some of his assertions, and even mentions that Campbell's father was a dairy farmer (implying that Campbell would have had a natural bias towards milk, and had seen the light). Anyway, in light of Fung's viewpoint that diabetes is a function of Insulin Resistance, with high blood sugars as a symptom, it makes me want to go back to the debate between Dr Eric Westman and T Colin Campbell to see if there are any insights that Campbell might have. Westman pretty much wiped the floor with him, but perhaps perhaps there is some useful info embedded in that video. Obviously, Dr Fung paid attention to it.

The Story of Calcium was actually a great presentation. I'd heard much of what he relayed before in dribs and drabs as it came out in the news. But to see the results of each study build on the previous, it is pretty darn convincing. I gave up calcium supplements a year or more ago, and it was good to get this confirmation that I'm on the right track.

After some ice cream on Sunday (experiment: is the fat in ice cream enough to slow down digestion to offset the sugar? findings: no), my fasting glucose was 103 the next morning. After 2 days of IDM fast one day and LC/somewhat limited protein the next, FBS this morning was completely normal at 83. How I wish there were some way to do a quick, relatively cheap check of insulin levels a few times a day.

JEY, you will never be the Other Janet. I think I will revert to JEY and JLx.