View Single Post
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

A thin me ...

I echo waht Andy said. I don't pretend to understand all the reasons people end up living where they do. And I understand how you might not feel you have the choice to move ... My experience with neighborhoods like yours -- which many of my friends and colleagues choose for the sake of the kids (better schools, nice houses, etc.) -- is that they are NOT better for the kids in the long run. They teach values that I don't agree with at all -- like the ones that appearance, brands, and consumerism is what matters most in life.

Now we are living in a good mix of a community. The school my daughter attends is 56% spanish speaking, and the social class runs the gamut from illegal immigrants and migrant workers, to doctors and middle to upper management of a major oil company.

Speaking of daughters ... did you see Oprah the other day? It was about anorexia and other eating disorders. They had girls as young as five (!) complaining that they were too fat ... and one girl who was 9 who almost died from eating little more than paper ... she said it filled her up, but she was sure it wouldn't make her fat. It infuriates me that our society has this fat-fear -- like it's the most horendous thing that could happen to a girl.

Oprah was good to point out that these disorders are very complex issues, they are not food issues, and that they are reinforced by media and society. It's sad.

My daughter and I watched it together ... and we discussed how much pressure some girls feel in looking good ... luckily she's not feeling the pressure as much. She's much more interested in health and comfort than in appearances -- that's my girl!