#7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Tracey,

I feel your posting right to the heart! Boy, have I said those same words. Just a couple of thoughts I have...

First, the "laser hair removal" is actually officially approved and DOES remove the hair permanently. It takes a few sessions, is not cheap (over here, about 100. per "section" - but look around, that was at a dermatologists office), but after the third cycle of hair growth, the follicle will not regrow. After years of electrolysis, at $30. a session, twice a week sometimes, I would be HAPPY to pay a few hundred, have no burns or scars, and know that I'm on the way to a real solution.

It's terribly depressing to deal with that particular part of PCOS, especially when you start LOSING it on your head!! What a cruel irony!!

The weight problem is in itself an issue, but the underlying symptom for me was clinical depression and the appropriate medication needed to balance out THOSE chemicals first. I know the debate about antidepressants - my background is in Psychology, and I'm in school now for social work - and I know how so many are medicated unnecessarily. But when it's needed, it works. It was what allowed me to stabilize, and take on one piece of this puzzle at a time.

Now, my weight and body image are at a place where I can "deal" with it - although I'm not happy with it. (That's attitude change.) My facial hair problem is nearly gone, and my skin looks great now. How? Some artificial means...but mostly, good nutrition first, medicate from the inside out, good skin care, WATER, WATER, WATER, keeping on a LC diet for insulin control...and getting the depression treated. Before that, nothing matters. My stats say I'm starting at 195, but it was 260 before that...I've been there. Women with PCOS do NOT have it easy. And you know as well as I do, the medical community would have this solved in a heartbeat if it were a MALE disease!

We women have to take it upon ourselves to educate the doctors as to what works... and be there for each other to alleviate the negative self-image feelings we have to deal with sometimes.

I appreciate your post...take care!