View Single Post
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 09:59
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Gost, I totally agree that a diet high in carbs like you described is a bad idea. But that is NOT what a refeed is. A refeed is a short period of high carb intake, coupled with adequate protein and lower fat, with the sole purpose to bump up the leptin levels in a dieted person. Not all lifters need refeeds; the need is dependant on bodyfat levels, how long/intensely they've been dieting, etc.

GSD is doing a pretty severe diet, so refeeds are warranted. Ghoulia has no need for a refeed, but from what she is describing, some carbs around her lifting will help her finish her workouts. We're not talking about tons of carbs here, either. Probably just 20-30g total would do her. A carb is a carb, but fructose goes to preferentially refill liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen, hence the recommendation to avoid fruit for these workout carbs.

Quote:
insulin halts lipolysis
Yeah, but what does this mean in the context of a hypocaloric diet? It means ultimately she will burn bodyfat for fuel. Lifting weights is a glycogen-fueled activity. If she is glycogen depleted, which is quite possible if she's been lifting higher rep for a while on ultralow carbs, then she will need a bit of carbs in order to complete her workout.

Life, she is full of compromises. Temporarily halt lipolysis in order to provide glycogen to the muscles so that you can lift weights to help retain your lean muscle mass while you diet, or....not.

Quote:
And Dane ,I'm probrably older than you and I was heavily into bodybuilding in the 80's and early nineties.
You may be slightly older--I'm 38, not that it matters. I just hope that your bodybuilding knowledge has progressed since the 80's/90's.