#12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-10, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/237.4/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Short of growing my own veggie and raising livestock, I don't have very many choices if I want to stay healthy. I shop mostly at Farmer's Markets. But I also have to shop at WF, because my WF has grass fed meat and wild fish, unlike most supermarkets around here.

Have you ever thought about finding a local farm in your area?

This is where the veg-heads get it wrong when they whine about antibiotics and hormones in beef (thus becoming veg-heads in the first place or being "forced" to shop at WF). Yes, FF is bad and they pump the cows full of stuff to get them up to weight quicker so they can meet demand but "organic" farming isn't that much better. The USDA standards for organic farming are inconsistent and in the crapper. Shopping at WF for "grass fed beef" doesn't mean anything. According to the USDA grass fed beef can be fed from stockpiled resources that can and may contain a significant amount of grain. Which means your happy grass fed cow could very well have seen the sun as often as a FF cow. The same goes for "free range" chicken. All free range means is that their feet touch the dirt.

If you really want to make a difference in your diet or make a statement about the state of corp farming then buy your meat local. If you're already shopping at farmer's markets ask if they grow livestock, you may be able to buy half a cow. (FH and I went in with my parents and his mother and we buy a half to split amongst ourselves)
Find a local butcher even, to purchase meat from. There are alternatives to supermarkets. I think that supermarkets are evil...lol they have replaced small, local markets to the point that people don't even think of using them anymore.
It becomes "oh no! WF doesn't have my uber-organic grass fed buffa-yak, I must find another WF!" Maybe the local butcher has your buffa-yak, sir...

Or you could do what i did: plant a garden and buy some chickens (you may be zoned for them). I buy my beef from the farm across the street and raw milk from the dairy farm down the road. My fruit comes from local orchards and berry farms. In the summer we buy cheese and pork from the Farmer's Market. It's a great set-up and you'll never run out of eggs again.

Call me again when you want to hear about the massive worm burden organic meat carries! Yum-- Taenia saginata!